We’ve never had to start off a story with a disclaimer before, but here it goes: DO NOT attempt to make this cocktail recipe at home. This is the “most dangerous tequila cocktail in the world.”
Luckily, we had Dustin Haarstad, a trained professional (and a bit of a pyromaniac) create this cocktail for us. He’s from Blind Tiger Cocktail Company and pulls these kinds of crazy cocktail stunts all the time.
We met up with Dustin at tequila mecca Cantina Mayahuel in San Diego. He showed us how to create a “Tequila Blue Blazer,” cocktail using tequila, mezcal, and a whole lot of fire.
Dustin used Siete Leguas reposado tequila and Del Maguey Vida Minero mezcal to create a combustible mixture that puts on quite a show.
Here’s the recipe, but don’t try this at home!
1) In a metal pitcher combine:
- 1 ounce reposado tequila
- 2 ounces of high-proof mezcal
2) In another metal pitcher add:
- 2 ounces of boiling hot water
3) Use a long lighter to light the tequila/mezcal mixture and let it sit for a few seconds
4) CAREFULLY pour the flaming contents into the other pitcher and pass the liquid back and forth between them several times
5) Put the flame out by covering the top of the container with the liquid in it, taking away the oxygen needed to burn
6) Add the following ingredients:
- 3/4 ounce of lime juice
- a few dashes of bitters to create an added complexity
7) Mix the liquid again by passing it back and forth between the pitchers
8) Pour into a small brandy-snifter style glass and let it cool down a bit before serving
This cocktail is served warm and is great for cold days. It’s a nice, bright, flavorful tea-like cocktail that is not overpowered with alcohol.