Charlie’s Famous Mango Margarita Recipe Revealed!

When we drink tequila, 98% of the time we sip it slow and straight. But every once in a while (the remaining 2%) it’ll take the form of a margarita. There are two margaritas that we like best, the “Pure Margarita,” and “Charlie’s Famous Mango Margarita.”

Charlie is the happy, smiling bartender at the Quinta Don Jose Boutique Hotel, in Tlaquepaque, Mexico – our favorite hotel in the Guadalajara area.

His mango margarita is sweet, smooth, fruity, refreshing, and the tequila is still the star ingredient (it’s not hiding beneath other flavors.)

During a recent visit, I convinced Charlie to give up his recipe – and I even created a video of the process (above).

Mango Margarita Tequila Drink Recipe

  1. Start with 1/4 of a fresh mango, cubed
  2. Add approximately 1 1/2 cups of ice to a blender
  3. Add the juice of 1/2 of a large lime (he says “lemon” in the video, but he means “lime.”)
  4. Add 1 ounce of Cointreau
  5. Add 1 ounce of simple syrup (sugar water)
  6. Add 2 ounces of 100% agave tequila (Charlie uses Siete Leguas blanco, or if that’s not available, Siete Leguas reposado)
  7. Add the mango cubes to the blender
  8. Blend until smooth
  9. Wet the rim of a wide glass with a lime wedge
  10. Add Tajin seasoning to the rim of the glass
  11. Add a thin slice of mango to the rim for garnish
  12. DRINK UP!

Thanks, Charlie! And if you’re ever in the Guadalajara area, consider sitting poolside at the Quinta Don Jose while sipping on one (or more) of these.

5 Responses to “Charlie’s Famous Mango Margarita Recipe Revealed!”

  1. 7 Leguas repo! Perhaps the ULTIMATE Margarita tequila!
    Where to find, “Tajin”??


  2. Sounds good, I am a fan of the Mango Marg. You can buy really good frozen bagged & cubed mangos at Trader Joe’s. I use them all the time for smooothies and they seem really fresh and colorful. You could probably use less Ice as well since they are frozen and it won’t dilute as much.

    I have all the ingredients for this will give it a go. I am also going to try a lite version and sub agave nectar for the cointreau/simple syrup (These usually make drinks too sweet in my opinion) and see how that taste. I will keep you posted!


  3. I was recently introduced to the best tequila ever, Dos Lunas Anejo. However, I see bevmo stopped carrying it and here tell that budweiser is going to be the distributor, can you confirm or give me an update on such a good tequila. Also what is a good price for it.

    Thanks Matt
    From San Diego.


  4. Thanks for sharing I made this for my mother in law and she is a big tequila drinker and she loved it… She calls me her bartender now lol


Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Mango Margarita Recipe

Project Details

    Tequila Matchmaker Mobile App

    Tequila Matchmaker is our free mobile app for tequila freaks. It'll make suggestions for other tequilas to try in your area based on your likes and dislikes!
    Install if for free, here:
    iPhone / iPad